Coya and Pangal hydro plants
The Coya and Pangal hydro power plants were Pacific Hydro’s first assets in South America, following our arrival in Chile in 2002.
Pacific Hydro took over operation of the plants from the Chilean state-owned copper company CODELCO in April 2004, an acquisition that included the related transmission infrastructure and upstream water rights in the Cachapoal River Basin.
Located in Chile’s sixth region, in the basin of the Pangal and Cachapoal Rivers, approximately 30 km east of Rancagua, a city 90 km south of Santiago, the Coya and Pangal sites have been operating since 1911 and 1921, respectively.
Despite being in operation for so long, we saw an opportunity to increase the efficiency of these plants, consequently boosting the supply of electricity to the local community, increasing returns to the business, and offering Pacific Hydro’s customers a more secure and efficient source of renewable energy.
The plants have a combined installed capacity of 76 MW, enough energy to supply more than 220,000 Chilean homes, and abate approximately 180,656 tonnes of greenhouse gas pollution every year.
Clean energy produced by the Coya and Pangal power plants is sold to CODELCO under a long term Power Purchase Agreement. CODELCO uses the electricity generated by the plants to power its EI Teniente copper mine and sells any surplus directly into the deregulated national electricity market.
Pacific Hydro’s ownership and management of the Coya and Pangal plants has delivered a range of social and economic benefits to the local community over the years.